No menu items!

GM CEO apologizes for delayed vehicle recall.


The CBS Evening News reported that General Motors’ new CEO May Barra apologized Tuesday “for the company’s failure to recall more than one point five million vehicles until years after it learned of a deadly defect.” CBS (Axelrod) added that Barra “admitted the company took too long to issue the recall saying, ‘I am very sorry for the loss of life that occurred and we will take every step to make sure this never happens again.’” CBS notes that while GM “has admitted to knowing that faulty ignition switches could cause engines to shut down and power steering and airbags not to work” it did not issue a recall for 13 years. Congressional hearings “are expected to be held some time in the next few weeks,” and Barra “plans to testify.”

NBC Nightly News reported that much of the controversy “centers on how the company quietly changed the design of a flawed ignition switch.” NBC added that Federal regulators “are formally demanding answers. Who signed off on the change and why they weren’t notified.” NBC added that “there’s a federal criminal investigation underway, and congressional hearings are being planned for next month.” Barra “reiterated the company is cooperating fully with regulators.”

A front-page story in the New York Times reports that Barra “sought to restore some measure of confidence in the company’s new leadership, starting with herself,” and notes that her “performance was a marked departure from the norm in the auto industry, where corporate chiefs routinely avoid talking about recalls unless subpoenaed by Congress.” The Times notes that the recall controversy “is both an opportunity and a risk” for Barra, and her “straightforward strategy will be severely tested in the weeks ahead, as federal regulators and other government officials press for details on why G.M. waited years to reveal that ignition switches in its small cars could, if bumped or weighed down by a heavy key ring, cut off engine power and disable air bags.”

The Wall Street Journal reports that at a news conference Tuesday, Barra said, “Clearly this took too long. There have been times when the [recall] process has worked very quickly but in this instance, it took too long, and that is my concern, and that is why I want to understand what happened.” The Journal notes that the Justice Department, the NHTSA, and House and Senate committees are investigating how GM handled the recall.

The Los Angeles Times reports that GM appointed a vehicle safety chief, Jeff Boyer, on Tuesday. Boyer “will oversee the development of GM vehicle safety systems, safety performance and recalls.” Barra explained, “This new role elevates and integrates our safety process under a single leader so we can set a new standard for customer safety with more rigorous accountability. If there are any obstacles in his way, Jeff has the authority to clear them. If he needs any additional resources, he will get them.”

We believe that obtaining legal satisfaction from those who harmed you shouldn’t require more hardship. That’s why we do everything we can to streamline the process, and we will file a lawsuit on your behalf if necessary. If you or a loved one has been affected by this recall, and you believe it caused an injury, contact Chhabra & Gibbs today by going to or by calling this number: 601-948-8005.

Share this article

Recent posts

Popular categories