In my experience practicing divorce law, I have seen clients handle issues with their children the right way and the wrong way. So, from my perspective in handling these cases, here is the best way to handle divorce when you have children:
- Do not let the kids see you fight
- Do not talk negatively about your ex-spouse in front of your children. Your ex is still your child’s father/mother
- Be cooperative with visitation, especially during the holidays. I have found the best way to deal with holidays is to alternate each holiday and alternate by year. For example, one parent gets the children for July 4th in odd years and the other parent gets the children for July 4th in even years
- Do not make your children feel like they are being forced to choose between their mother and father
- Try to maintain a good relationship with your ex (at least in front of your children)
Teresa E. Harvey
If you find yourself in the position of needing an attorney for divorce, please contact Teresa E. Harvey at 601-948-8005, or visit our website at http://cglawms.com. Teresa is an associate attorney for Chhabra & Gibbs, P.A. that handles the CG Law Group, P.A. area of the firm. CG Law Group, P. A., is an affiliated firm of Chhabra & Gibbs, P.A. that was formed by the founding members of Chhabra & Gibbs, P.A. to meet the growing needs of the firm’s clients without compromising the attorney’s abilities to focus on a particular area of law. Chhabra & Gibbs, P.A. is able to give top rate competent service to people who have been injured, while the affiliated CG Law Group, P.A. is able to meet the other legal needs of injured people like estate and chancery work, social security disability, and discrimination cases. Together, we strive to assure that our client’s rights are upheld and that their best interests are served.