According to the National Safety Council in 2020, the top 3 workplace injuries were exposure to harmful substances or environments, followed by overexertion and bodily reaction, and slips, trips, and falls.
Top 3 Workplace Injuries
- Exposure to harmful substances or environments:
- It’s no secret that Covid-19 played a role in this outcome as many people in the medical field were exposed to harmful environments when treating patients. Prior to Covid this category had ranked 6th in workplace injuries.
- Along with Covid-19 injuries was exposure to electricity, extreme temperature, radiation and noise, air, and water pressure change, as well as exposure to a traumatic or stressful event.
- Overextension and bodily reaction:
- Overexertion injuries include lifting, pushing, turning, holding, carrying, or throwing. While bodily reaction injuries are mainly caused by a repetitive task such as heavy lifting.
- Slips, Trips, and Falls:
- Slips and trips happen mainly from an object on the ground or a substance that was spilled such as a liquid or something sticky. While falls occur from falling off a higher level such as scaffolding or a roof.
While these injuries only contest to 75% of nonfatal work injuries there are many other scenarios that may occur at the workplace. It is important that you know what to do if you are injured at work in order to protect yourself and your rights as an employee.
What to do if injured at work
- Report injury to supervisor immediately and fill out an incident report
- Take note of any witnesses to your injury
- Seek medical treatment ASAP even if minor injuries
- Contact a Worker’s Comp Attorney
After a workplace injury you may feel lost as of what to do next and how you will afford to live while in recovery. By contacting an experienced workman’s comp lawyer, you give yourself the best chance to receive the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one was injured at work, contact the dedicated worker’s comp lawyers at Chhabra & Gibbs P.A. We have a combined 130+ years’ experience dealing with all types of workers comp cases. Our legal team handles all kinds of workers compensation cases including construction accidents to offshore injuries and more. We also handle car accident injuries, premises liability, and more. Contact us 24/7 for a FREE case evaluation at 601-948-8005. For more personal injury news visit msinjurylaw.com.