No menu items!

What to do after injured at work


In Mississippi roughly twelve thousand (12,000) people are injured at work every year. These injuries fall under the purview of the Mississippi Workers’ Compensation Commission, which apply the laws of the Mississippi Workers’ Compensation Act to the particular facts of the injured person’s claim. So, what do you do if you are one of those 12,000?

Your employer should have a policy for dealing with workplace injuries, but you should always make sure to inform your direct supervisor and/or H.R. about the injury. Thereafter, you should fill out and sign a “First Report of Injury” form, which lets the Commission know that you have been hurt and will potentially be filing a claim. Make sure to include particular details in the form, such as what time you got hurt, how you got hurt, what you were doing when you got hurt, and who saw the injury. Then, you need to go to the doctor. The employer may want you to go to their doctor, but at this time you still can choose your own physician. No matter where you go, make sure that you inform the doctor that this was a work injury. Do not feel like you are throwing your employer under the bus by doing this, because not telling the doctor can be damning to your claim. Self-sabotage is the worst way you can lose a claim. Finally, contact an attorney that specializes in Mississippi Workers’ Compensation claims.

If you or a loved one was injured at work and have questions about whether or not your work injury falls under the jurisdiction of the Mississippi Workers’ Compensation Commission, contact Chhabra & Gibbs, P.A. personal injury firm at 601-948-8005 today. Consultation is free. Everything is confidential. There is no obligation. We have a team of lawyers and staff ready to guide you through this process and ensure your rights are protected.

Share this article

Recent posts

Popular categories